Position purpose – Responsibilities/Duties/Functions/Tasks
The purpose of this position is to review and evaluate information on mortgage loan documents to determine if buyer, property, and loan conditions meet establishment and government standards. The processor will then approve or deny mortgage loans based on their evaluations.
- Evaluates acceptability of loan to corporations that buy real estate loans on secondary mortgage markets where existing mortgages are bought and sold by investors
- Determines acceptability of risk of prospective business
- Negotiates directly with mortgage loan officers and processors
- Reviews and completes a minimum of four loans each day or the department manager must be notified
- Reviews conditions for approved files the Junior Underwriter was unable to sign off on within the 24-hour review window
- Notifies the branch by fax, e-mail, or phone of the status of files and adds notes immediately to DataTrac
- Approves or rejects loan applications and requests additional information if necessary
- Records loan rejections, specifying investor and institution guidelines as the basis for declining application, such as insufficient cash reserves, etc.
- Assembles documents in loan files, including acceptance or denial and disposition sheet, for the originating mortgage loan office
- Maintains database on new and existing business
- Answers e-mails and phone calls within 1 hour to 2 hours of time received
- Assists the underwriting coordinator and Jr. Underwriter with status questions
- 3 years (minimum) full time recent experience reviewing both credit applications and property appraisals
- Currently using DE
- Must be a reliable and responsible professional, skilled in mortgage evaluation
- Must be able to demonstrate knowledge and experience regarding the principles of mortgage underwriting
Company Conformance Statement
In the performance of assigned tasks and duties all employees are expected to conform to the following:
- Review and adhere to policies and guidelines contained within the Employee Handbook, including privacy and information security guidelines.
- Act within delegated authorities and adheres to applicable policy and procedures associated with such authorities.
- Contribute to establishing a respectful workplace where diversity is critical to innovation and growth.
- Ensure every action and decision is aligned with PRMI values.
- Partner with your management team to understand performance expectations and measurements. Effectively utilize feedback and coaching opportunities while seeking to learn and develop within your role at PRMI.
- Realize team synergies through networking and partnerships across PRMI.
- Embrace change; act as advocate and role model, promoting an approach of continuous improvement.
- Maintain a high standard of customer care while actively listening to customers in an effort to understand their views and needs. Take ownership of problems and issues, taking into consideration the breadth of PRMI competencies in providing solutions.
- Work independently while understanding the necessity for communicating and coordinating work efforts with other employees and organizations.
- Work effectively as a team contributor on all assignments.
- Perform quality work within deadlines.
- Respect client and employee privacy.
Each employee must be able to communicate clearly and effectively, utilize a computer, maintain a work schedule, and effectively perform in an office setting. Employment with PRMI requires compliance with and adherence to all applicable mortgage and fair lending laws and regulations as well as PRMI policies. The ability to work extended hours may be required.
Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
I acknowledge that I have read the Job Description and I understand what is expected of me for this position. PRMI reserves the right to change/reassign job duties or combine positions at any time. I also understand that I am at-will employee and that this job description does not constitute a contract of employment.